[Fsf-friends] Re: [ilugd] [X-POSTED] First GPL violation filed in USA

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 25 13:50:59 IST 2007

2007/9/23, Linux Lingam <linuxlingam at gmail.com>:
> or, this could also be a cheap publicity stunt, given that one of the
> founders of the company has a background in law, and the founders like
> to create startups they can sell off at great prices. well, this si
> the best way to generate a huge buzz around their company, let every
> blogger, mailing list, forum discuss it. once the buzz dies, a quiet
> outofcourt settlement may follow, with nice soundbytes on how much
> they appreciate the gpl etc.
> then another piece of news on how some other company has paid a
> fortune for their product or their company.

It got settled out of court.

I think this slashdot comment summarise the issue well

"For their reputation, it's a wash. Monsoon's reputation has been
damaged by their original behavior but the settlement goes a long way
to repairing that. The reputation enhancement they get from using free
software is well deserved because free software has a well earned
reputation for quality."

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=307011&op=Reply&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&pid=20735809

Cheers
Praveen