[Fsf-friends] Globalisation Institute calls for Unbundling Microsoft Windows

james mathew james.infidel@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Sep 24 19:07:00 IST 2007

On 9/24/07, Anivar Aravind <anivar at movingrepublic.org> wrote:

> Globalisation Institute Brussels, calls for Unbundling Pre Installed
> Windows
>
> Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled
> operating system, according to this submission to the European
> Commission. It says that the bundling of Microsoft Windows with
> computers is not in the public interest, and prevents meaningful
> competition in the operating system market.

An interesting excerpt from the document:

     To be clear, this paper deliberately concerns itself with the commodity
computer market,
where products are aimed at the mass market. We consider the Mac to be a
premium, niche
product, like a Bang and Olufsen television, which is difficult to justify
in the business world
outside of the publishing sector. We therefore do not think that the Mac,
despite claims of its
superiority, provides a meaningful competitive threat to Microsoft.

James

--

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE!