[Fsf-friends] GNOME vs KDE

Dave Crossland dave@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 21 15:57:56 IST 2007

On 21/09/2007, Ajay Pal Singh Atwal <apsatwal at gmail.com> wrote:
> The news in question is fine, but should the subject be GNOME and KDE
> in place of GNOME vs KDE. From message subject it seems as if the both
> Desktop Environments are at war path against each other.

I read it from the users perspective of "I should re-compare GNOME
versus KDE since these big new versions are coming out."

Whats interesting is that KDE is GPL through and through, although
Version 2 only, while GNOME is Lesser GPL - and also Version 2 only.

Which in a way makes KDE actually more of a supporter of the software
freedom movement. Especially since the GNOME project has totally left
its GNU project roots behind, with its own Foundation, conferences,
and no FSF presence at the GUADEC.

I look forward to comparing the two when KDE4 comes out; I've been a
GNOME user for the past year or so, and before that OpenBox, but I'll
re-compare openly and might well switch….

Dave