[Fsf-friends] Free Software in Kerala ... a very interesting story

Anilkumar K V achu.kulangara@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Sep 15 11:39:39 IST 2007

It is really a good attempt by Sasikumar. I appreciate him for this
write-up.

However, since the narration of this write-up is mainly based on the
experience of free software movement in Thiruvananthapuram, I feel the title
is better renamed as "The Story of Free Software in Thiruvanathapuram,
India". My other comments on this article are pasted below.

Regards,

Anil

Anil <http://www.blogger.com/profile/14066963594571131093> said...

The name of Kochi based firm mentioned in this write is not Open Source
Solutions.

It is Open Software Solutions Industrial Co-operative Society ( OSSICS ).
This group is formed in 1998 as a part of Peoples Plan Campaign and
registered as a Co-operative society in 2000, and it is the first Industrial
Co-operative Society for the promotion of Swathanthra Software especially in
Keralam.
  11:08 AM
<http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007/08/story-of-free-software-in-kerala-india.html#comment-5254904679226796564>

<http://www.blogger.com/delete-comment.g?blogID=34899069&postID=5254904679226796564>
Anil <http://www.blogger.com/profile/14066963594571131093> said...

This write-up did not mention the role played by many of the organaisations
and initiatives, Some of them are listed below.
1. ATPS (Appropriate Technology Promotion Society) Kochi,
2. SEPSIT (Social Entrepreneurship Promotion Society on Information
Technology )- Kannur.
3. Initiatives by Ernakulam District Panchayath and EIID
4. S2S2, Kannur
5. Earlier Free Software Initiatves Initiatives in Kannur University.
6. Free Software initiatives in various Engineering Colleges in Keralam,
other than one mentioned in the article.
7. Activities of FSF-Kozhikkode
8. Initiatives by Swathanthra Malayalam Computing.
9. Nila and Kaveri projects of CDIT.
10. Kerala Social Forum
11. Efforts of various persons such as Dr. Achuth Sankar and Prof. Ignatius
Kunjumon.
12. Vivarasangam meet
13 . Vivaravicharam magazine
14. NIC initiatives in Free Software,