[Fsf-friends] News: CNN: Microsoft takes on the free world

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu May 17 14:02:36 IST 2007

2007/5/17, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>:
> > Great to see CNN talking about Free Software and not Open Source.
>
> The sentence construct appears to use it in the context of "free beer"
> than "libre" but then I might be nitpicking

I agree with you on this about the first sentence, but then he has
gotten it in other cases like this
-------"free world" - people who believe software is pure knowledge.

And it was the best article I have seen in a while though it did miss
some points like (but again most of those who are new to the community
misses it, I missed it when I joined)

----------Businesses loved free software. But they had no use for
Stallman's noble sentiments, and neither did the many developers who
began to write free software specifically for businesses. They chafed
at some of the requirements in Stallman's GPL, so they devised their
own licenses, called open-source licenses. Those often gave them a
freedom Stallman forbade: the freedom to keep secret any improvements
they made in free software, turning them back into proprietary code.

But again on a whole it was refreshing.

Cheers
Praveen
--