Re: [Fsf-friends] With Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolescence of half the world’s PCs ...

Ajay Pal Singh Atwal ajaypal@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Mar 28 10:24:13 IST 2007

A little addition.

----- Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=8226
>

> That's because, according to a report by the Department of Government
> Commerce about Open Source Software Trials in Government, open source
> software has lower hardware requirements and needs less frequent
> hardware refreshes.

Not a unique feature of GNU/ Linux but because we have the freedom to tailor **our** OS as per our hardware. Maybe it is a feature we get with GNU GPL.

---- snip --------

> The report continued: "Open Source operating systems such as Linux do
> not usually have the regular major upgrades that are a feature of
> Windows, and thus do not have the requirement that goes with these
> upgrades for a new or upgraded computer to run them."

It is pure economics. If MS aint selling software from where the money will come. Anyway MS need to **force** the users to upgrade (read as to force them to shell out money) somehow; and also create a monopoly.

-- snip --

> Greenpeace went on to argue that Microsoft should have considered
> this
> when producing its new OS.

So what do you want a poor bill?

--