[Fsf-friends] Mumbai cyber cafe license requirement makes Microsoft OS mandatory

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Mar 24 10:33:30 IST 2007

Frederick Noronha wrote:
> Have just learnt that under the recently announced licensing scheme
> for the cyber cafes in Mumbai, the Mumbai police under its list of
> requirement vide point no 14 insists on a copy of Microsoft Open
> License. This license fee is apparently prohibitive and apparently
> still unclear on the licensing term for public use, and,  restrains
> cyber cafe operators from choosing
> any other alternative operating systems. I would like to hear from
> others who have more details. Specially someone in Mumbai. --FN

I am soon going to meet a few vendors and cyber cafe operators and
increase among them the awareness that alternatives exist.  first
meeting is taking place tomorrow.

I also want to take this opportunity to inform all the fs supporters in
every town and city to meet the cyber cafe owners, and give them the
confidence that alternative technology to run them exists, and they can
slowly migrate.  Also not to neglect are the assemblers, vendors of ICT,
both software and hardware aspects.

Nagarjuna