[ATPS] Re: Fwd: [Fsf-friends] BSNL should find a place in "Hall of Shame"

CK Raju, Thrissur ck.thrissur@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Mar 8 13:57:19 IST 2007

> Of course those in authority in BSNL who go for ms products are not
> only to be blamed but shall be condemned.  But not BSNL as a whole.
> Why ?

I suppose the entire mail server has now been transferred to be on
Microsoft services. The metro based services have already been
transferred, and others are in due process.  All Indian subscribers of
sancharnet mail services will now be using Microsoft's services. All
the mails are now at the mercy of this corporate, who can do what it
wants with even sensitive Indian data.

 But quite alarmly, one finds the reason Mr Srinivas gives for this
migration is "security". We all are aware that it was for national
security reasons that President of India had slammed Microsoft
services, during his inaugural speech at IIIT, Pune in May 2003 - and
to Bill Gates directly in Nov 2002.

Microsoft's notoriety in redefining "security" has been conveniently
re-used and relayed to convince the authorities by Mr Srinivas. This
is foul play, a great act of treachery, executed neatly - worse still,
none in MIT have taken serious notice of it. Indirectly it also
exposes what could have transpired between Maran and Gates when they
met at latter's residence in US, a few months ago.

> Is not an example to be emulated by others.
Maybe. Such acts could also be used by BSNL to convince legal
authorities that it is using appropriate technology and is not averse
to using Free Software - and that would be enough to silence us.

Chief Justice has indicated that internet services are going to be
used by judiciary - fair - but not enough. An Indian citizen would
also need to be empowered to file a Public Interest Litigation through
internet - by using an e-mail. That could perhaps qualify as an act to
counter digital-divide.

Lets keep watching ....
CK Raju