Re: [Fsf-friends] Re: [കേ.ശാ.സാ.പ] Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt

Ramakrishna Reddy ramkrsna@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 7 16:39:31 IST 2007

On 6/7/07, sujith h <sujith.h at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Lots of teachers are trained to use Debian. Now why this change???
> > >
> > you mean GNU + Linux.
>

> Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 18733
> packages <http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages>, precompiled software
> bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.
>
> Read the link <http://www.debian.org/> properly!!! :)

doh!!! I never knew that, after using debian for like 6 years. I never
knew that an OS is pure coz it comes with 18733 packages. What if I
take a GNU System and compile it on Linux or BSD , would it make it an
Impure OS. I don't wanna start a distro war. Coz you can always argue
about the manageability, portability, fedora vs Debian, Gentoo Vs
Debian, Ubuntu vs Debian.. AFAIK none of the production boxes are just
plain vanilla distros, they are heavily customized for the purpose
they are meant to serve. anyway this was not intended as part of this
thread. The real point I wanted to learn from your parent mail is as
follows ::

Red Hat and the Kerala government will also work together to promote Kerala
> as a global destination for developing open source software.
>
>This is really a shocking news!!!

 I wanted to know why you were shocked ?

> Cheers,
>
> Sujith Haridasan
>
> --
> സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
> Bangalore
> http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign

Ramakrishna Reddy                                               GPG
Key ID:31FF0090
Fingerprint =  18D7 3FC1 784B B57F C08F  32B9 4496 B2A1 31FF 0090