[Fsf-friends] Eben Moglen @ Hotel Mascot, Trivandrum

james mathew james.infidel@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jun 2 12:42:28 IST 2007

Symposium on "Patents, Copyrights and Knowledge Commons"

organised by Kerala State Planning Board, Kerala State IT Mission and
Free Software Foundation of India.

Venue: Mascot Hotel, Trivandrum
Time: 5:30 PM
Date: 6 June 07

Meeting will be open to public.

Programme:

1. "Innovativeness in Property Relations"
   - Prof Prabhat Patnaik, Vice Chairman, Kerala State Planning Board.

2. "Freeing the Mind  :   Free Software and the Death of Proprietary
Culture"
   - Prof Eben Moglen, Columbia University.

3. Q & A

About Speakers:

Prof Eben Moglen
--------------------------
Eben Moglen is a professor of law and legal history at Columbia
University, and is the founder, Director-Counsel and Chairman of
Software Freedom Law Center, whose client list includes numerous pro
bono clients, such as the Free Software Foundation.

Moglen says that free software is a fundamental requirement for a
democratic and free society in which we are surrounded by and
dependent upon technical devices. Only if controlling these devices is
open to all via free software, can we balance power equally.

Prof Prabhat Patnaik

Prof Prabhat Patnaik is a professor at the Centre for Economic Studies
and Planning in the School of Social Sciences at Jawaharlal Nehru
University in New Delhi.  He has written for several journals, such as
Monthly Review and Political Affairs. He is the author of several books
on economics, imperialism, Marxism and India. He is currently
Vice-chairman of the Kerala State Planning Board.

--

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE!