[Fsf-friends] Smolt

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 13:47:00 IST 2007

http://rahulsundaram.livejournal.com/11995.html

"Smolt is the opt-in hardware profiler for Fedora and while the
initial focus was on Fedora, Smolt is derived from RHN client tools
and is based on HAL and has always been portable to other Linux
distributions and possibly other operating systems which HAL has been
ported to like FreeBSD or Solaris. The idea as Max Spevack has hinted
before is to have a neutral central website to gather metrics on Linux
usage. There are many other advantages. We could understand some
patterns and gain insight into how Linux systems are being used and
prioritize testing and focus development. We could talk to hardware
vendors and gain more support. A shared and coordinated effort between
Linux distributions and other operating systems would have enormous
benefits for both developers and end users."

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
GPG key ID: 63D4A5A7