Re Re: Re [Fsf-friends] TN may shut door on Microsoft

VMK ellakannada@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jan 6 23:23:59 IST 2007

Frederick Noronha (FN)      fred at bytesforall.org
     Sun Aug 31 15:47:30 IST 2003]
---------------------------------

Dear Mr Umashankar C:

Thanks for your note, and here's my response.

Firstly, may I point out that I'm a supporter of the Free Software model;
and wouldn't like to push the Open Source label just primarily because it
appears more business friendly. Freedom (of the software writer and user)
is an important issue, and this should reflect in the labels we use, IMHO.

Secondly, your concern is valid. There's much scope for work in this
field. But, for this task to be accomplished, we need to involve a whole
lot of others, and hence involving a couple of evangelists like Atul and
me alone would be grossly insufficient.

As a first step, I'll circulate your note so that others in the debate
(FSF-India, LIG, PubSoft, GKD, BytesForAll) get to know of these concerns.

Thirdly, instead of reinventing the wheel, we do need to keep track of the
initiatives underway at the international and national levels. In this
sphere, a lot of work can -- and should -- be shared.

We need to check up about the plans from Latin America (I think) to
promote a distro for government officials.

Let's see how we can take this ahead. Thanks for raising the issues. FN

Message: 4