[Fsf-friends] Help needed in Chennai

പ്രവീണ്‍‌|Praveen pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jan 2 17:22:20 IST 2007

2007/1/2, Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org>:

> Interesting... Debian isn't present at that link.  Anyone have an idea
> why?

"These are all GNU/Linux distributions we know of which consist entirely of
free software, and whose main distribution sites distribute only free
software."

Debian has a non-free section on their distribution site even though that is
not part of the offcial debian system.

" We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do not
conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created "contrib"
and "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these
areas are not part of the Debian system, although they have been configured
for use with Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
the packages in these areas and determine if they can distribute the
packages on their CDs. Thus, although non-free works are not a part of
Debian, we support their use and provide infrastructure for non-free
packages (such as our bug tracking system and mailing lists)."

>From Debian Social Contract http://www.us.debian.org/social_contract

So it is clear that FSF cannot recommend a distribution that
supports/recommends non-free in some way.

Cheers
Praveen
--
"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."