[Fsf-friends] The new look IRCTC now working with Firefox

kanti jadia jkanti@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Aug 30 11:34:26 IST 2007

Today i got a pleasant surprise.
I had sent the following mail to care at irctc.co.in on 20th Aug.

"

Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on
the excellent appeal of the website for
www.irctc.co.in.
The new colour scheme looks great and the site really
appears pleasing.
There are some problems as well.
The site design has not taken into account a lot of
desirable features which are considered mandatory on
the internet.

1. The main page does not work with Firefox.
Firefox is one of the most widely used browsers on the
internet.It is very disappointing that a website of
such high regard does not support Firefox.

2. If we see the validation of the site for W3C norms
, it fails miserably.The validation service can be
accessed from
http://validator.w3.org/.
The following are critical issues shown by the
validator

a . No Character Encoding Found!  Falling back to
UTF-8.

I was not able to extract a character encoding
labeling from any of the valid sources for such
information. Without encoding information it is
impossible to reliably validate the document. I'm
falling back to the "UTF-8" encoding and will attempt
to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail
for all non-trivial documents.

Read the FAQ entry on character encoding for more
details and pointers on how to fix this problem with
your document.

This shows the blank disregard for standards.
Without solving this critical problem we cannot
validate the site on other parameters.

If as another example we run the validator on
http://www.irctc.co.in/helpandinfo.html
We get 106 unique errors.

I recommend use of anybrowser (
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ ) design
recommendations accessible via the URL
:http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html

3. Do not introduce blinking ads on any page of the
website as they are really a pain on the eyes and do
not serve any purpose.

This will help the web designers and administrators to
make IRCTC.CO.IN <http://irctc.co.in/> a very usable website for the entire
country.

With the number of visitors going up by the hour its
imperative that the largest employer in the world also
listen to its humble customers.
"

And am happy to see that they care.
This definitely  is something which was done after feedback from various
people.
The W3C validator still does not work , but they have done some checks on
Firefox it seems,

Regards

Kanti