[Fsf-friends] OIN Licensees

shyam narayanan aeshyamae@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 8 01:14:59 IST 2007

hi,
I just surfed through the OIN site,and they says they are here for
protecting gnu/linux softwares from patent attacks and to reduce the worries
on patent issues.But my doubt  is that,where GPLV3 lacks to do all these
things?.why cant google or other companies just liscence all their softwares
in GPLV3?wont that provide enough security not to be attacked with patent
problems?
quoting from the OIN FAQ,the first question and answer is:
*"  What is Open Invention NetworkSM?*
Open Invention Network's mission is to further software innovation by
acquiring patents to be used for cross-licensing purposes to defend the
Linux System - making them available on a royalty-free basis."

So the support to OIN is because they can be used for cross-licensing
purposes?or because they are supporting the so called "intellectual
property" and bla blas?while GPLV3 is not much about that so
called"intellectual property"?
So my question is that,what OIN says to provide is already there in GPLV3?

cheers
shyam