[Fsf-friends] OIN Licensees

Mani A a.mani.cms@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 7 22:33:47 IST 2007

>From Groklaw
Google Becomes OIN's First End User Licensee "To Help Linux Thrive"

Tuesday, August 07 2007 @ 03:12 AM EDT

Google has become an Open Invention Network licensee. Here's the press
release about it.

"Linux plays a vital role at Google, and we're strongly committed to
supporting the Linux developer community," said Chris DiBona, Google
open source programs manager. "We believe that by becoming an Open
Invention Network licensee, we can encourage Linux development and
foster innovation in a way that benefits everyone. We're proud to
participate in OIN's mission to help Linux thrive."

This is huge. All previous licensees have been developers, sellers or
resellers of Linux. Plus... let's be real. It's Google. OIN becomes
increasingly important as a shield against patent attacks

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani