[Fsf-friends] Broken pgms

Mahesh M maheshmukundan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Apr 28 11:19:01 IST 2007

On 4/28/07, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 21:07 +0530, Mahesh M wrote:
> > Why is it that the required files and libraries are not distributed with
> the
> > package?
> > Can any arrangement be made for the same?
> >
> > Like... When s/w s are d/l ed one may not be able to install it (errors
> like
> > ncurses are missing and all)
> > User end people find it very very difficult... They hate searching net
> for
> > every single thing jus to install one single package.
> > I have been hearing this for a thousand times..
>
> This need not be a problem when one is installing from the Net. Most
> distributions now have package managers that can automatically download
> and install dependencies from the Net.

is there a way of installing the packages that do not belong to repositiry.
I dont think that driver files of modem and all can be integrated to package
manager. We usually use dpkg, alien or rpm (rather I and my friends !!) And
they (not the latest one :) )do not have anything called "satisfy dependency
by checking the net" option!! And even the newer versions arent that
friendly as user needs to know host ID, user name passwd, address etc.
Nobody is bothered to sacrifice so much of time for such a thing!

A problem occurs when one is
> trying to install an application from a CD or DVD distributed by, say, a
> magazine, and it provides only that package and you have to download the
> dependencies. The problem becomes sever if the machine is not connected
> to the Net, obviously.

Exactly .. But is there any solution. Since in country like India, we cant
expect the users to get a quality connection, rather sometimes any
net-connection at all!

Best
> --
> V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>
> Free Software Foundation of India

Mahesh

Its sure to be dark if you close your eyes.
http://maheshmukundan.blogspot.com/