[Fsf-friends] Broken pgms

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Apr 28 09:41:22 IST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 21:07 +0530, Mahesh M wrote:
> Why is it that the required files and libraries are not distributed with the
> package?
> Can any arrangement be made for the same?
>
> Like... When s/w s are d/l ed one may not be able to install it (errors like
> ncurses are missing and all)
> User end people find it very very difficult... They hate searching net for
> every single thing jus to install one single package.
> I have been hearing this for a thousand times..

This need not be a problem when one is installing from the Net. Most
distributions now have package managers that can automatically download
and install dependencies from the Net. A problem occurs when one is
trying to install an application from a CD or DVD distributed by, say, a
magazine, and it provides only that package and you have to download the
dependencies. The problem becomes sever if the machine is not connected
to the Net, obviously.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>