[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [ssug-malappuram] Re: Broken pgms

Mahesh M maheshmukundan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Apr 28 08:22:28 IST 2007

On 4/28/07, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/4/27, Antony FM <antonyfm at gmail.com>:
> > But cant we solve this problem by using apt-get or yum.
> We have already solved the problem, but what we are missing is the
> awareness.
> Once people start realising that doing things differently necessarily that
> bad.

Apt-get and yum uses internet,rt...
It all started when we argue on need to use Linux. This is one of the areas
where i get stuck.. What will general public do if they do not have an
access to internet. M$ has succeeded wonderfully in this part. Almost all
installations come with all the required files. I am not talking about the
installations from within the CD provided. But an outside package.

Mahesh, can you tell us the exact issue you came across? like which
> package you were installing and which all dependencies you had to
> resolve manually ...

I always use the net.. So didnt have much tough time yet... :)

>shouldnt
> > something like that rather be a step we should introduce people to
> > instead of downloading whatever dependencies etc by themselves, which
> > we think necessary.
>
> There is two issues here
> 1) internet access
> we could solve that by providing the whole dvds
> 2) yum doesn't have a CD mode (I keep hearing that they are working on
> it). Any Fedora users here? Can you verify if the latest version
> support installing packages from a cdrom? If not we need to make it
> work like the way apt works. Any volunteers? Mahesh?

Sure.. i will check about this.. But, as mentioned above, that is not the
exact problem. Why cant a separate installation like that of a modem driver,
come with all the libraries and other dependency packages ready. If its
already installed, ok,fine, forget it; but else, its a great asset. Atleast
we wont have to go to net..
But i do see a big stupidity in my suggetion. At times the dependency tree
may also point to the base packages.. well, we dont need to provide an
entire Linux installation set, just tyo install a single package either!!!!
:) Perhaps some work has to be done. And a standard be developed so that
anyone developing a separate package, pack the installation in a particular
style that the general public is not affected much...

> > Anyways thats my opinion. But then im a noob, so cant say much.
> every one is a noob in something or the other, so don't mind.

Thanks!!! :)

Cheers

--
Mahesh

Its sure to be dark if you close your eyes.
http://maheshmukundan.blogspot.com/