[Fsf-friends] Shocking Stuff..

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Apr 27 02:58:46 IST 2007

2007/4/26, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan at gmail.com>:
> Two days back it came to my notice that a program called Teminal Server
> Client uses an icon that contains the M$ Windows Logo.. I was running my
> EDUBUNTU. Well it could not have been done by mistake..

What is wrong with that? Did you mean a trademark violation?

2007/4/26, Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil at gmail.com>:
> Please file a bug with the issuetracker / bugzilla of edubuntu. Look
> into the files in /usr/share/doc/ directory about where to file the
> bugs.

Probably he needs to contact microsoft legal department.
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/usage/general.mspx

(btw, interesting reading)

Specifically http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/permissions/default.mspx#E4D
"Use of Microsoft icons is permissible in training manuals or
documentation written for and/or about a Microsoft product."

I believe it is about Windows (R) and hence no issues. Terminal server
client is a program which lets you connect to a Microsoft Windows (R)
machine over the network.

Windows is the registered trademark of Microsoft corporation.
Copyright, Trademarks and patents have not much in common. When we
talk about Free Software we talk about Freedom (trademarks does not
interfere with your ability to use, modify, share and publish
improvements and hence no issues). Firefox is Free Software even
though the name and logo is trademark of Mozilla corporation.

2007/4/26, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan at gmail.com>:
> Well the TS Client is meant for Windows, and using an icon representing the
> same is not bad, I think it is fair use.
> Thats no excuse..

Are you more concerned about the violation of Microsofts "Intellectual
property" (sic) *  than....

> And, going by your definition, Ubuntu is not even completely free.
> See: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7895189911.html
> I am aware of that.. :)
... Free Software?

* Please do not use the term intellectual property. If you are talking
about copyrights, patents and trademarks then talk about them
individually because there is nothing much in common between these. If
you hear someone talking about intellectual property, either they are
confused themselves or they want to confuse you

Cheers
Praveen

--
പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്