[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [smc-discuss] Re: Fwd: [LinuxPakistan] Opportunity to promote FOSS and Linux Knowledge Globally

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Apr 13 19:45:39 IST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh00 at gmail.com>
Date: २००७ अप्रैल १३ १४:०४
Subject: [smc-discuss] Re: Fwd: [LinuxPakistan] Opportunity to promote
FOSS and Linux Knowledge Globally
To: smc-discuss at googlegroups.com

I guess all of you read this months Linux For You magazine. Its cover
story is Iran's FOSS activities.
Iran was using Windows and Other proprietary softwares. Since US
banned all technology support to Iran from US citizens, they went in
to a situation where literally they cannot use computers. They
couldn't run licensed windows, could not download softwares from the
US technology companies. Think how bad is such a scenario. Then the
government decided to use FOSS. You can read the details in LFY April
page 48-51.

I think this is a warning to all governments in the world who are
highly dependent on proprietary  softwares.  If a  government  wants
to self dependent, it should use open technologies.

In that article representative of Iran government says that they are
in need of case studies of Asian countries in FOSS to convince the
government officials. He points out the "Kerala model" also.

Anivar is right. We need to collect and share the case studies.
Examples can be IT at school, SMC and GSoc, GNULabs, Kerala gov. IT
policy,NRC-FOSS  etc.
Usually each LFY  issue is coming with a Case study.
Let me know your thoughts

-santhosh

On 4/10/07, Anivar Aravind | അനിവര് അരവിന്ദ് <anivar at movingrepublic.org> wrote:

> We need to do the same as a part of of our activism
> start a page in FCi wiki, General & SMC specific, my poor bandwidth not
> allowing me to create a page now
>
> Anivar

പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!