[Fsf-friends] FWD: Desi DRM by YashRaj Films

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Apr 12 17:47:04 IST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Riyaz Usman <riyazusman at gmail.com>
Date: २००७ अप्रैल १२ १२:०९
Subject: [+PLUS] Desi DRM by YashRaj Films

(This is a copy of a blog entry be me. For reading the my blog, please
visit http://riyaz.bitinc.co.in)

So, if you think Apple is nasty in it's DRM implementation on iTunes,
here come the Desi Apple - YashRaj Films.

After reading a post in ThinkDigit Forums, I visited DRM FAQ page in
Yashraj Films website. Here are some interesting FAQs.

1. What is DRM?
 Digital Rights management (DRM) is a set of technologies that enables
you to own copyrighted material in a digital format, and use them
based on the rights given to you.

3. What computer should I use to download my music?
 You should download your music to the ONE computer where you keep
your digital music. The music can only be played from the computer
through which the license purchase is done, which will provide
unlimited playback of the track on this computer.

5. What is the format of downloaded files?
 All tracks are downloaded in Microsoft Windows Media 9 (wma) format.
These files are protected by the Microsoft Windows DRM software.

6. What can I do with the downloaded music files?
 By purchasing music from Yash Raj Films, you can play the files on
the computer where you purchased the license from. The license
purchased will provide unlimited playback of a song only on the
computer used to purchase the license.You can only play the downloaded
music files on Windows Media Player 9.0 and above Windows Media
Player. You can also make upto a maximum of 2 Audio CDs for the
downloaded media files.

11. Can I transfer a downloaded song track to an external music device
or another computer?
 No, currently you cannot transfer a downloaded song. The license
purchased will provide unlimited playback of a song only on the
computer used to purchase the license. Licenses will not be
transferable to any other computer or other portable music devices.
However you can create upto 2 Audio CDs which can be played on any
compatible Audio device.

12. Why is my downloaded music not playing?
 You need Microsoft Windows Media player 9 or above to listen to music
or burn it to a CD.

 14. Why am I getting a "License Error" or "License Must Be Purchased" screen?
 It seems like a license was not issued for the file. This can happen
due to using a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer, which
is required and the only supported browser for license downloads or
because of a network issue while license delivery was taking place.

15. Can I copy my downloaded song / file on to another computer?
 The music can only be played from the computer through which the
purchase is done and the license delivered to. However, you can copy
the file to another computer, but you need to buy a new license to
play this track. On playback, the Windows Media Player will request
for a license. You need to purchase a new license for this new
machine.

16. Can I download music on my MAC?
 Not at the moment.

Complete FAQ on DRM at Yashraj Website

No other browser than Internet Explorer can be used, No other Media
player than Windows Media Player can be used, No other Operating
System than Windows can be used to download or play these files.

These downloaded music will be licensed to play only on a computer.
You cannot copy this to your portable device or another computer, you
need a new license for that. If you're a GNU or any other non-Windows
user,

WHAT THE HELL?

If you think this is even nastier, please stop buying DRM implemented
music or movies. If you don't know what DRM is and what it means to
you, or if you want to know more and be part of Anti-DRM campaigns,
please do visit the following sites.

Join the DRM Elimination Crew
 Defective by Design
 DRM.info