[Fsf-friends] problems with installing linux on older hardware

Kush be_a_sport@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 5 18:38:21 IST 2006

Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
> On 9/3/06, Kush <be_a_sport at rogers.com> wrote:
>> One problem that I have always faced with installing linux and have dual
>> boot systems is the need to resize existing partitions--specially NTFS
>> partitions. Can anybody advise which open source softwares are best to
>> do this job painlessly? I recently came across partition logic but have
>> still to try it.
>>

> I use GParted. There is also an exclusive GParted LiveCD which is
> about 30 MB download. NTFS partitions are easily well. Only you
> need to reboot into host operating system once, before doing any
> further operations on it.

Dear Sunil,

Thank you for the information. It should certainly help me and others in
the same boat. I had no idea that such an alternative existed and had
been looking high and low for other partitioning tools. Maybe all linux
websites/ LUGs must mention this crucial tool since its required to give
people a taste of linux on double boot systems.

The most prominent or only partitioning tool i had ever heard of was
"partition magic" on numerous sites but no bootup/standalone all in one
solution. This gparted live cd looks to be a wonderful tool --i never
knew it was available in standalone/bootup format.

Kush