[Fsf-friends] olpc project in kerala or any other advanced state

Kush be_a_sport@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Sep 3 18:16:24 IST 2006

Is there any equivalent project like the one laptop per child project in
Brazil here in any of the 30 plus states of India or in any of the 500
plus districts of India?

What looks most interesting is the self cranking/auto powering feature
of the OLPC laptops (because of our dismal electricity problem in most
of India). Wonder what hardware they have and what softwares are put on
them. Anybody here who has first hand experience of the gadgets and if
they are worth anything. I mean lot of hype is created for such projects
including our own under 10,000 rupees computers but these sadly fail
because of 2 types of problems--

1 mass scale manufacturing and management of distribution etc (large
scale concerns)
2 problems in quality and benefits of the device plus no mechanism to
improve on the existing device after users report defects and ask for
enhancements. (individual concerns)

Kush