[Fsf-friends] problems with open source

Kush be_a_sport@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Sep 3 17:31:51 IST 2006

Many open source programs like openoffice/jashaka etc now only come with
versions that can work with windows XP etc instead of also working with
earlier windows versions. This necessitates buying or using pirated
versions of windows and also upgrading the hardware sometimes. What can
be done to continue making softwares for all versions of windows instead
of the latest versions? Can some of us write to the developers of
various such softwares and to the linux media channels of this anomaly?

2ndly I have been trying to popularise linux at the individual level but
the problem which is cropping up again and again is the demand for a
relatively high end hardware. e.g. ubuntu needs at least 512 MB ram and
most people wanting free software are the poorer types having older
hardware and it always necessitates a hardware upgrade.

I have tried other linuxes such as puppylinux or damn small linux (needs
atleast 128mb ram) or kanotix (256mb ram) but do not have the expertise
to advise people properly of all the possible applications they need
with these other linuxes. I am most experienced with ubuntu since it has
easier install/upgrade options/software such as the synaptic GUI . Am
sure other  open source proponents also  would have come across  similar
dilemnas.

What we need is a gui based linux for the lower end hardwares in the
same way ubuntu/edubuntu/xubuntu is for the higher end hardwares--
because most of us are still laymen where linux is concerned. Having
multiple distributions means  a  lot of learning is required to test and
upgrade packages without breaking the dependencies etc and that reduces
the masses taking up linux fast enough.

Kush