[Fsf-friends] Linus Torvalds -just for fun

Roshan Mathews rmathews@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Oct 2 15:31:57 IST 2006

On 02/10/06, kush <corporalster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also the student in western system of education decides what they want
[...]
> learn much. Most private engg colleges have low standards and students
[...]
> There is another difference when I compare with Indian
> colleges/universities --methods of teaching. Linus had information about
[...]
In Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
(available online at
http://www.virtualschool.edu/mon/Quality/PirsigZen/), he proposes a
theory that it is examinations and grades which are the cause of rot
in education.  His idea is that exams, so to speak don't produce good
students rather encourage bad teachers.  I'm not gonna try to explain
it.  Read the book.  It'll be worth your while.

> I hope I can read some book/biography on Stallman too --please let me
> know if you know of any.

There is a biography.  Available online at:
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/

--
Roshan Mathews