[Fsf-friends] Bill Gates says Free Software is great

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Nov 19 14:51:24 IST 2006

The attacks just got subtler. Note how he confuses
free of cost and freedom.  "can never be
(commercialized)"--nobody can ever make money on it,
you know, build Web services or things. At least he's
pure."

Bill wants to mislead the reader into thinking that
RMS is - an idealist, utopian, not practical disregard
him, come back to the real world- that sort of thing.

He loves public domain (BSD is almost public domain)
Because he can privatise it without giving back.

"The GPL is. The free software world is way, way
bigger than that"

GPL consititutes 60-70% (atleast half) of all free
software code as far as I remember. Bill is lying.

I would say dont even bother linking to him, waste of
time and energy.

"And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule
community...if ``hard nosed realists'' say that profit
is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use copyleft
all the same." -RMS

Copyleft: Pragmatic Idealism by Richard Stallman
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

Regards,
Krishna

--- Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Free software has always been an important part of
> the software
> world, just like commercial software has been. ....
> So you have this
> incredibly wonderful thing that if free software
> works for people,
> they should use that. ....... That's his
> (Stallman's) world. The GPL
> is. The free software world is way, way bigger than
> that, and that
> will always be there. That's a noncontroversial
> thing that we love."
>
> Those are the words of the king of Micro$oft in an
> interview with
> Cnet. He also has a good word about Stallman:
>
> "Now (Free Software Foundation head Richard)
> Stallman, he is truly
> pure; unlike many people who sort of try to act that
> way, he's pure."
>
> You can read the entire interview here:
> >
> --
> V. Sasi Kumar
> Free Software Foundation of India
> Please see: http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/

=====================================Misinterpreting Copyright by Richard Stallmangnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html"Die Gedanken Sind Frei": Free Software and the Struggle for Free Thought by Eben Moglenhttp://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/berlin-keynote.html.

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes.
Www2.nextag.com