[Fsf-friends] Promoting Open Source in a big way

Harish Narayanan harish@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Nov 17 18:09:09 IST 2006

Mayukh Datta Roy wrote:
> Most volunteers are people who
> work for software companies and who develop Open
> Source software in their spare time.
Many developers on high-profile projects (the Linux kernel, Mozilla,
...) are paid full time to work on Free software.

> We have still not
> addressed one question "How to make Open Source a
> profitable Industry" because money after all is a sad
> fact of life and we all need it.
> What kind of business model will make Open Source a
> money making endeavour so that people like myself do
> not have to work for some propriety software
> manufacturing firm but give our full attention to the
> development of open source softwares.
1. Selling Free software [http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html]
2. Working for a company that revolves around creating Free software and
offering related services (such as Red Hat).

Harish