[Fsf-friends] Re: open source or Free software (!!!)

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri May 19 13:03:19 IST 2006

>    here I intended to say Open Source and not merely Free Software

  I am confused. What do you actually mean? Can you please clarify.

  Broadly speaking. The term "Open Source" is used by people who do not  want to talk about freedom, or who are unaware of the ethical aspects  of software freedoms. In the words of Richard Stallman "it  [open source] generally doesn't call attention to freedom very much".[1]
  http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/fisl-rms-transcript.en.html#q50-osi-responds

      The term "Free Software" is used by people who value  software freedoms and who talk about those ethics. This list is a FSF  list, and hence I have a small request that people care about the  terminology.

  "Free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation, is software  which can be used, copied, studied, modified and redistributed without  restriction."
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software

  Founder of the Free Software Movement
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

  -Krishna

malovika roy <malovika at gmail.com> wrote:  Krishna, Didnt know it was a big deal... here I intended to say Open  Source and not merely Free Software. I maybe layperson but I think the  crux of that mail was not to open a debate of whats appropriate  sounding "Free" or "Open"...

and thanks for the link Lakshmi.

Malovika.

Malovika,
>      Please use Free Software on this list, or atleast FOSS.
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Open
>
> Why ``Free Software'' is better than ``Open Source''
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
>
> -Krishna
>

> There have been attempts like the little league

> Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
> (+91) 9342287956
> laxminarayan at deeproot.co.in
> www.geocities.com/kamathln

To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/
http://freeknowledge.dyndns.org/

    The great moral question of the twenty-first century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art, all useful information, can be costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone -- if everyone can have everything, everywhere, all the time, why is it ever moral to exclude anyone from anything? -Eben Moglen