[Fsf-friends] thoughts about increasing the spread of computing

Kush be_a_sport@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 29 01:00:29 IST 2006

Hi all,

If we look at the pc revolution and how it spread after the IC and
microprocessors came into being, we would see that the following had a
great effect on the PC phenomena.

1 --IBM came into the picture and its methods of mass producing or
handling the distribution of quality items helped thru proper procedures
and quality control processes
2 --a media which worked complementarily to the PC revolution (and
helped advertise the social phenomenon)
3 --spread of software and hardware which met needs of small businesses
which could then feel the prestige of owning a machine which was
equivalent to the large corporation's multi million dollar machines.
This led to much needed money/capital coming in.

In the area of software for the common man and particularly software for
small businesses which fueled the growth of the pc revolution by
bringing in much needed money and absurd profits were the financial
softwares.

If open source or free software has to go beyond the researchers level
and not be milked by existing corporations like microsoft, sun, IBM,
Oracle etc (who just copy the code at no cost) there has to be accurate
and good knowledge of application softwares particularly for the rapidly
automating small businessmen of India in the tier 2 cities etc..

We need open rating systems (and impartial websites which are not market
driven) for existing softwares in the field of point of sale systems and
financial software.

I came across these sites for rating such softwares (from the Toronto
LUG mailing list) and maybe we could find others much better or
complementary to them and have them put up on a wiki based website such
as that of this group.

http://linuxfinances.info/info/miscpersonalfinance.html
http://www.linas.org

++
also another suggestion--
our fsf website URL needs to be put/added to each email from this list
automatically in addition to the existing footer
as below

Kush