[Fsf-friends] India picks up support for ODF

Frederick Noronha fred@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jun 28 01:31:13 IST 2006

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2006/06/india_picks_up_.html

India picks up support for ODF

IndiaflagLast Friday, 23 June 2006 the India chapter of the ODF
Alliance conducted a National Seminar on ODF in New Delhi. Quoting an
article on the event:

Welcoming this initiative and highlighting its importance in Indian IT
Scenario, Chandershekhar, secretary, Ministry of Information &
Technology, Government of India said, "We are glad to note that with
formation of a National ODF alliance, India too would be playing a
pivotal role in spearheading the ODF revolution. Further, considering
the huge potential of eGovernance in the nation as well as the need to
adopt open standards to make our data systems more inter-operable and
independent of any limiting proprietary tools, we feel that ODF is a
great technological leap and a big boon to further propel IT right to
India's grass root levels. I congratulate this initiative of leading
private & public organisations and wish them all the best in this
endeavor."

In another article in conjunction with the event, it was reported that
several government departments in New Delhi have decided to switch
over to ODF.

Note that the India chapter of the ODF Alliance includes CDAC (Centre
for Development of Advanced Computing) and IIT (Indian Institute of
Technology).

I have encouraged before that Malaysian organizations and companies
join the ODF Alliance and I should say now that these include
Malaysian institutions of higher learning. We already have a Malaysian
ODF SIG (special interest group) of individuals, but when sufficient
number of local Malaysian organizations group together as ODF Alliance
members, a different kind of ODF grouping and support will surely
emerge in Malaysia.

Posted by Hasan on Tuesday, 27 June 2006 at 03:10 AM in Events, ODF, z
Posts by Hasan | Permalink

Frederick 'FN' Noronha   | Yahoomessenger: fredericknoronha
http://fn.goa-india.org    | fred at bytesforall.org
Independent Journalist   | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9822122436