[Fsf-friends] Janabhaaratii seeks translators for Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malayalam...

Kush be_a_sport@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 27 04:30:09 IST 2006

One should ask the govt machinery what have they been doing with the
crores of public money allocated to the tdil project since a number of
years. They have been proclaiming that they have been working on it for
a long time. The first time I came across the tdil.mit.gov.in site was
in 1999 or 2000 and now they want volunteers to do the work they  have
already been paid for.

What is needed is Sam Pitroda type free hand and enlightened accountable
management that brought cdac/cdot etc  into being. Not this type of govt
bureaucracy which is all too prevalent now at cdac, csir, icar and other
public sector units including drdo.

When the new Maran became minister of IT after his father's death, this
ministry had promised that they would soon be bringing out linux
software customised in Tamil first (which they did finally) and then in
other languages. the Tamil work was done but haven't heard what happened
with machine translation and other highly publicised projects.

The bottomline is that bureaucrats  (and seniority based chaps) should
not be in control of huge projects without any accountability mechanism.

Kush