[Fsf-friends] Janabhaaratii seeks translators for Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malayalam...

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jun 26 23:55:54 IST 2006

                      Empanelment of translators
                                   &
                   janabhaaratii Translation Workshop

http://www.janabhaaratii.org.in/janabhaaratii/page_gen.php?lang=en&body=/announcement/translation.php

janabhaaratii project at C-DAC, Mumbai funded by Technology Development
in Indian Language (TDIL) Group of Ministry of Communication &IT, Govt.
of India is a community oriented Indian language initiative.

We plan to bring computing power to non-English speaking people by
translating the desktop menus, help messages, files, FAQ's, error
messages etc of GNU Linux System in various Indian languages. To begin
with – translations in the Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malayalam
languages are planned. Through janabhaaratii project, we have already
made available live CD's for these languages that one can use to input,
edit, and display & print Indian language text easily.

We would like to invite prospective translators who can contribute to
this work on a payment basis. We will hold workshops to acquaint them
with the following on 2nd Friday of every month:

      * Familiarity with Indian Language text processing using GNU/Linux
        platform.
      * Different kinds of translations & issues thereof.
      * Tools to support translations.

We would also like to empanel translators for doing this task. In case
you are interested Please fill the form & submit.