[Fsf-friends] fsf must rate and talk about application softwares too

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jun 17 09:59:48 IST 2006

   speed in the adoption of open source software in India.

Folks, we here are in the lists of Free Software Foundation and we stand for Freedom of software, or rather fundamental human rights. The talk of open source does not highlight the reason FSF exists, so let us try to highlight that. If you think free software is confusing, say freedom software, or swatantra software.

     We sorely lack access to good libraries and books

As far as libraries go, while unaccountable governments are one problem, I think the bigger problem is cost and affordability. The only solution is to use/create Freedom Knowledge like wikipedia. Buy book/magazine/software/videos that is copylefted or public domain only. Write them and release them under a copyleft license.

-Krishna

Kush <be_a_sport at rogers.com> wrote:>> I don't know any place where such information can be easily read and found. and these are the things which really matter for laymen to come to speed in the adoption of open source software in India.

We sorely lack access to good libraries (and good books) as a  critical part of our  infrastructure to propel our HUGE population into the knowledge age  --the west has a huge collection of public and private libraries and other ways of interacting and gathering
knowledge(community and recreation centres) but in India, public libraries are totally in the hands of unaccountable govt agencies and not under public minded private trusts etc, relatively speaking.

Misinterpreting Copyright by Richard Stallman
"Die Gedanken Sind Frei": Free Software and the Struggle for Free Thought by Eben Moglen mp3 ogg
Free Knowledge blog

.