[Fsf-friends] Elephants Dream : Worlds First Open Movie released

Harish Narayanan harish@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jun 2 03:01:09 IST 2006

Tinku Sampath wrote:
> *' ELEPHANTS DREAM '*
<snip>
> Elephants Dream is the culmination of the Orange Open Movie Project,
> produced by the Blender Foundation and the Netherlands Media Art
> Institute.
> The project was conceived to help develop and establish the
> capabilities of
> the Blender 3D open source tool for the creation of cinema quality
> animation.
<snip>

I happened to check this out last week when it was released and soon
ordered the DVD. It was absolutely gorgeous, and it definitely
demonstrated the capabilities of Blender, the other Free software
involved, as well as the talents of the artists working on it. The
"story," if there was one, seemed lacking and somewhat unmotivated, but
it wasn't as much about story-telling as it was a technological
demonstration.

However, I am still unable to parse the name, and it irks me. I've asked
elsewhere too, but does anyone know whether it's supposed to be read
something like "The elephant's dream was vividly described," and the
title is a typo, or is it supposed to be read something like "We know
elephants dream," which sounds even less related to the piece, but not a
typo.

Arggh.

Harish