[Fsf-friends] Free Software at Kerala Science Congress

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf@antispam.org
Mon Jan 30 22:04:30 IST 2006

The Keala Science Congress, a local version of the Indian Science
Congress, is being held at Centre for Earth Science Studies,
Thiruvananthapuram, from January 29-31. As part of the programme, an
exhibition is being held where several institutions are presenting their
material. FSF requested the organisers to provide a stall free of cost.
The Kerala Science Congress Committee agreed to give space, and the
chairman of the committee, Prof. C.G. Ramachandran Nair, is known to
have stated in the meeting that "we should promote Free Software". We
are sharing the stall with the Indian Science Fiction Association (of
which the President is Prof. Nair himself). On display were posters
about FS and a laptop with customised Ubuntu with a number of scienrific
applications. A CD was specifically developed for displaying here with
applications for GIS and related work, called FreeGIS. That CD and other
CDs like Free Electron, Freequency (with applications for computational
physics), IT at School CD and another with common applications were kept
for sale. Something like fifteen CDs have been sold so far. But the
impact is probably more than what that indicates. We thank Prof. Nair
for his support.

--
V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>
Free Software Foundation of India