[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: NetBSD live CD]

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@antispam.org
Thu Jan 26 11:48:52 IST 2006

Thanks Haidut, I'll pass the word around. FN

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Haidut <haidut at metawire.org>
To: fred at bytesforall.org
Subject: NetBSD live CD
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:14:24 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

I am one of the developers of Arudius - a live CD Linux distro
targeting information security professionals. The CD has a large
collection of security tools and a very small footprint (210MB) so it
fits on a mini-CD, thus it can load its tools completely into RAM and
run them very fast.

In addition to this security-related Linux distribution, we also
developed a NetBSD live CD focusing on the non-security community. It
is called NeWBIE (or simply Newbie). This acronym is pronounced just
like the word "newbie" and stands for (Ne)tBSD (W)are (B)urned (I)n
(E)conomy, a naming convention similar to the one used for the
well-known FreeSBIE CD. Newbie caters to the desktop-user (i.e. with
applications for web browsing, chat, multimedia, document editing, etc)
but will also serve as a core for creating a NetBSD-based live CD for
network security auditing just like

Arudius (see the  website). We are also in the process of developing a
DragonflyBSD version of NeWBIE.

The goal of both CDs is to promote the usage of Linux/BSD and hopefully
serve as useful tools for people who need that kind of software.

We would appreciate it if you try out the CDs and give us some feedback
on how we can improve them (i.e configuration, install additional
software, etc). If you find any of the CDs to be useful, please mention
them on your site or post a link to the homepage -
http://arudius.sourceforge.net

Thank you very much for your attention and if you have any questions
feel free to send an email to haidut at gmail.com

best regards,
Haidut