[Fsf-friends] Debian... the quest for more developers in India

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@antispam.org
Wed Jan 4 09:58:54 IST 2006

To: debian-devel at lists.debian.org
      * Subject: Report from foss.in/2005
      * From: Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry at gmail.com>
      * Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:41:27 +0530

Hello,

Since, I am not 'valid' poster of this list, my mail me be blocked by
listadmin! I asked DWN to report for foss.in/2005 conference in India
and Debian activity during event. Joey can answer about this post.
Thanks Joey to encourage me.

Background:

foss.in/2005 was earlier known as Linux Bangalore -YEAR [1] Starting
from 2001 it was highly sucessful in terms of both - attendences and
speakers. Speakers was from all over the world. The conference was
renamed in aim with to change focus to particular city and only to linux
- it is now represents more wider choice of Free and Open Source
Software - foss.in itself represnts website name! [2]

Debian at foss.in!

India, the second largest nation in the world - which is top in IT all
over, lacks contibutation towards FOSS and particulary Debian! There are
only 2 active Debian Developers in India. Jaldhar Vyas [3] who headed
Debian-IN Project [4] was worried about the situation. Jaldhar made it
possible to India. Thus, two talks was arranged in conference! Jaldhar
spend most of time in meeting people to explain and answers question
about Debian and Debian-IN. Vaidhy who was DD in past helped a lot
during jaldhar was busy with other work. Debian-IN BOF was organised and
it was successful. Many people signed each other's key and make thier
way towards become Debian Developer.

What Next ?

Lots more! We expect that there should be 20 Debian Developers in near
future. Representation at DebConf6 [5] from India will also make some
difference in situation too. If you are coming to India, please make
announcement and arrange to meet people so that more key-signing party
can be organise.

Well, People behind foss.in is here [6] which includes speakers and
oraganisers.

[1] http://linux-bangalore.org/
[2] http://foss.in/2005/
[3] http://debian-in.alioth.debian.org/