[Fsf-friends] Re: Metting today 5.30 to discuss Dollar One Encyclopedia

Nagarjuna nagarjun@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Feb 9 10:16:54 IST 2006

प्रवीण् ए (Praveen A) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We will have a quick discussion on details of the wikipedia on CD effort
>>( http://www.techmag.biz/dollar_one_encyclopedia ) today 6.30 pm at Coffee
>>World, 17th Main Road, Koramangala (Near Canara Bank junction).
>>
>>Looking forward to meeting you

Good to know of your interest. a few lines about our project.

Our project, gnoware is heading towards a gnowledge distribution.
(http://www.gnoware.org) One of the things that we already did is to
harvest all the content of wikipedia, wordnet, and other free books
and documentations available.  we are currently working towards a
cd/dvd distro.  The software for viewing the content is based on
gnowsys (a zope based knowledge base).  This CD will work on any
existing operating system.  Gnowsys is interoperable system. Our
first release will take about a month, which will contain more than
2 million objects. Slowly the need for gnowsys will be eliminated by
using only the zodb file which can be used independent of zope.
updating local servers with remote servers can be made by posting
new versions of zodb. we are also exploring several alternative
technologies, such as storing the data in a xfs based file system.
The user interface will not be browser, but a gnowser, a specially
crafted tool for building, querying and distributing gnowledge.

The idea of distributing it with software is to let people who are
not connected, could also contribute on their local servers.  When
occassionally they get connected our syncing algorithm will update
it from a central server.  Syncing algorithm also is taking shape,
and will be available after June.

We do need hackers support to make this happen.  We want to make
gnoware a knowledge distribution.  this is to address the problem of
developing and distributing content, while everyone is working
mostly on software distributions.  HBCSE is setting up a gnowledge
lab to do it on an ongoing basis, so we have a committment to
support this for a long time.  we invite contributions from the
community.

Nagarjuna