[Fsf-friends] A National Shame

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Dec 15 14:28:12 IST 2006

Nagarjuna G. wrote:>
> FSF India should launch a nationwide campagn and alert the citizens as well
> as administrators of the dangers of these collaborations between public
> bodies and profit-only motivated proprietary software companies.

One of the things that can be done is to expose how these awards given
by Microsoft are only to organizations which use Microsoft's technology
to implement a solution.

We can confirm this if we manage to get a list of the awardees and their
precise technologies used.

I searched a bit, and found out at least two of these awardees. Both use
MS technologies.

e.g. http://lakport.nic.in/ uses .Net for their portnet project.
http://nrega.nic.in/ uses ASP for the NREGA project.

Questions to be asked:
1. Are they no worthwhile e-governance project which have done a good
job using non-microsoft technologies?
2. How many of these projects have got awards for e-governance from MS
and other companies?
3. How many non-MS solutions have got egovernance awards from Microsoft
  yet?
4. Shouldn't this be called "Microsoft Awards for excellence in
egovernance using MS technologies"?

- Sandip