[Fsf-friends] Re: [FSUG-Bangalore] Which license should I use?

Anand Babu ab@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 8 04:10:09 IST 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 12:08:33PM +0530, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
,----
| Anand Babu wrote:
| > My recommendation is to adopt GNU GPL and find an alternative for
| > the MPL'ed code or write one yourself. You can also ask the MPL'ed
| > code author to dual-license with GNU GPL.
|
| What happen's when the application in question only *installs*
| binary only packages that are licensed under licenses which are GPL
| incompatible ?
|
| eg. I create an application/interface that installs two RPMs for two
| packages A and B. A is GPL compatible if not GPL itself and B is GPL
| incompatible. How do I license my interface/application or does the
| license for my application (which in a non strict sense is only an
| installer) as GPL compatible meet all requirements ?
`----
You have to be precise. Saying "Installing" is not sufficient.

GPL incompatible free software license allows you to redistribute but
doesn't allow you to link your GPL'ed code to it even in binary form.
Because the binary code still runs inside your application context.

So you can re-distribute but not link.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31