[Fsf-friends] Flame

doxa at antispam doxa@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 2 14:28:10 IST 2006

Linus quotes "Say I'm a hardware manufacturer. I decide I love some particular
piece of open-source software, but when I sell my hardware, I want to make sure
it runs only one particular version of that software, because that's what I've
validated. So I make my hardware check the cryptographic signature of the
binary before I run it ... The GPLv3 doesn't seem to allow that, and in fact,
most of the GPLv3 changes seem to be explicitly designed exactly to not allow
the above kind of use, which I don't think it has any business doing."

This is surely not convincing. Here it seems Linus himself wants to play the
role of a supergod, by restricting access. In Free Software paradigm, the point
is to leave the whole control of the project threadbare to the community. The
'shark-laser' syndrome is what the proprietary developers and (rogue)
governments  put forward when they want to be hide away from being transparent.
Is this the burning issue or are there more to it ?

CK Raju