[Fsf-friends] Google Summer of code guidelins

प्रवीण् ए (Praveen A) pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Apr 25 19:22:55 IST 2006

Hi,

These are the GNU projects guidelines to participate in Google Summer of
Code.
http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

More about Google Summer of Code http://code.google.com/soc/

http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html will give you Frequently asked
questions like

1. What is Summer of Code 2006?
Summer of Code 2006 is a program that offers student developers stipends to
create new open source programs or to help currently established projects.
Google will be working with a variety of open source, free software, and
technology-related groups to identify and fund several hundred projects over
a three-month period. The inaugural instance of the program, which took
place last summer, brought together 400 students and 40 mentoring
organizations from 49 countries. We'd like to include even more
organizations and participants this year.

The program's goals are to inspire young developers and provide students in
Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do work related to
their academic pursuits during the summer, and to support existing open
source projects and organizations. Since we're looking to find developers
around the world (many of whom may have considered creating open source
software but havent yet taken the plunge), we felt that concentrating on the
student population was a good place to focus our efforts. Further, since no
single organization could possibly mentor hundreds of students working on
disparate projects, we thought it made sense to spread the work throughout
the open source and free software community. We also think that the Apache
Software Foundation (for instance) knows a lot more about what an Apache
project needs than Google does and is more likely to ensure that an
applicant gets the right kind of guidance so they can create acceptable
code.

I really hope some of you join in. I'm sure it will be a really good
opportunity to learn with some of the best programmers of the world (and
ofcourse $4500).

Regards
Praveen
--
"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."