[Fsf-friends] Ankit Fadia : The real picture

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Apr 6 10:52:18 IST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 21:58 -0700, Shakthi Kannan wrote:

> In India?
>
> AFAIK 16-year old's in the US do real hacking and by
> that age they are very competent with computers and
> *nix.

And let us not forget that we have our own kids like Sarath Lakshman (no
longer a kid :-))

> He doesn't even know the difference between 'hacking'
> and 'cracking', and you are saying its ok?

I think that is okay, especially for a guy who has had only Windoze for
his diet.

> It is only in India that people get away by making
> mistakes? That is a pity.

People do make mistakes. The problem comes when they refuse to recognise
their mistakes.

In this case, I think, the crime was committed not by the kid, but by
the community that made him a celebrity. This community could include
his parents, relatives, teachers and friends. Once a celebrity, it is
only human to try and cling to it. I actually sympathise with the guy.
Interestingly, there are other such young young guys who are being made
out to be geniuses. Their lives are just wasted. This is a tragedy.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>
Free Software Foundation of India