[Fsf-friends] Call For Proposal - Sarai/CSDS FLOSS fellowships
viyyer at sarai.net
Tue Sep 27 13:59:40 CEST 2005
CALL FOR PROPOSAL
Sarai/CSDS Short Term FLOSS Fellowship, 2005 - 2006.
The Sarai Programme, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi
(www.sarai.net) invites applications for fellowship to projects in the
area of Free Software, Open Source Software and Social Usage of Software.
Sarai invites developers/researchers/ programmers (practitioners as well
as students) to propose projects in the area of free and open source
software applications relevant to educational, social and community
needs. We are looking for original ideas, as well as proposals to
localize and adapt existing software and applications to South Asian
conditions. We are also looking for ideas around technical
manuscripts,beginners manuals, review manuscripts etc.
Some of the focus areas are:
- Indic Computing
- Developing/Distributing/Supporting a standalone / addon localized Linux
- Printing support (i.e. ability to print in Indian Languages)
- Multimedia / Publishing Tools Research
- Developing / Enhancing Tools like GIMP, Scribus for publishing quality
- Enhancing current audio/video tools available under Linux
- Fixing/Supporting Cinelerra, LiVES etc
- Researching on feasibility and implementation of P2P news distribution
- Researching and developing
- Collaboration Tools/Frameworks
(Apnaopus, CreativeDot )
- Developing extensions for the project newsrack(
- Low Resource Computing
- Devising solutions for networked computing in Low Resource Spaces
(Define the parameters of the "low resource space" and work on it)
- Developing Linux drivers/software for easily available hardware
(usually the cheapest hardware available on the market is not supported
under Linux (scanners, webcams etc))
[ This would include writing a howto on how to get it to work under
popular distributions (redhat, pcqlinux etc) and all.. ]
- Review papers on emerging technologies
- Indic Computing
- Wireless Networks
- Manuscripts for beginners
What is Sarai:
Sarai is a public initiative of media practitioners and scholars looking
at media cultures and urban life. Sarai's interests are in the field of
new media, information and communication technologies, free software,
and urban space - its politics, built form, ecology, culture and history,
with a strong commitment to making knowledge available in the public
It is a programme of the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies,
For more information visit www.sarai.net . Sarai is committed to
free software and open source vision.
Applicants should be resident in India, and should have a bank account in
bank operating in India.
These are support grants and grantees will be free to pursue their primary
occupations, if any.
Mail your project proposal, workplan and CV to both the following
<floss at sarai.net <https://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/prc> >
Please mark your subject line 'FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software)
Initiative'. Also point out what you see as the relevance of your work,
and how you plan to share the resultant software once finalized.
Enquires: <floss at sarai.net
Last date for submission: November 15th, 2005
Note: Proposals from teams, partnerships, collectives, faculty are
welcome, so long as the grant amount is administered by a single
individual, and the funds are deposited in a single bank account in the
name of an individual.
More information about the Fsf-friends