[Fsf-friends] FOSS.IN invited speakers list

प्रव प्रव
Tue Oct 25 09:41:45 CEST 2005

All:

I imagine that some of you would be interested in hearing about some of
the speakers who will be coming to FOSS.IN/2005 <http://FOSS.IN/2005>, from
far away shores. :)

So here are a few, and over the next few days, more will be revealed.

------

Many people have an impact on their chosen field in a singular manner -
typically through a specific project, or a specific direction. It is rare
for someone to be known for two completely different things within the
same field. Our first speaker, however, has managed to do just that.

He is the co-author of what could probably be called "The Bible of Linux
Development", in which he uses his keen knowledge of the Linux kernel and
its design to show people how to develop device drivers. No one in India
would even *think* of trying this without referring to his book, now in
the third edition.

He is also the editor of the world's most respected FOSS publication to be
found online - the one place where *everyone* goes to read unbiased news,
reviews and commentary about the FOSS world.

Our first visiting speaker is Jonathan Corbet, co-author of "Linux Device
Drivers", and editor of LWN.NET <http://LWN.NET>, aka "Linux Weekly News".

------

Last year, he came to LB/2004, bringing with him not only the development
knowledge of FOSS projects he himself is deeply involved in, but his keen
sense of direction when it comes to enterprise-wide deployment of FOSS
solutions.

He also brought with him an ocean of experience related to the creation of
events for the community, having himself helped bring to life one of the
most famous of them all.

>From Linux Australia, we have Andrew Cowie.

-------

Targetting the honorary position of "LB veteran", he will be in India for
the THIRD consequitive time, to participate in our event.

His code safeguards millions of networks across the world, and can be
found in virtually every consumer router these days. And when he isn't
writing code, he makes the world a safer place for the GPL, by
relentlessly tracking down and exposing corporations who "don't get it"
when they use GPL'd code without following the rules of the game, and
provided the first precedent of the GPL standing up in court - and
winning.

>From Germany comes the chairman of the netfilter/iptables project, and the
man behind GPLviolations.org - Harald Welte.

-------

He was Linux Bangalore's first "star speaker" back in 2001. He is heavily
involved in not just FOSS, but free culture as well. He is the organiser
of one of Europe's most respected FOSS & Free Culture events, and when he
calls, people like Larry Lessig and Eben Moglen heed his call.

He speaks Japanese, German, English and a variety of other languages, but
most importantly speaks Geek as well. He had a knoppix CD before people
knew what that was, and can lie in the sun for hours without getting a tan
or a sunburn.

He is Mr.Wizards-of-OS - Volker Grassmuck.

(watch out for a related announcement)

-------

Everytime you go to the web to access information, you are using
technology that this man has had his eager fingers in. His work is one of
the first instances of a FOSS project almost completely demolishing the
proprietary competition, and is used in a majority of all webservers
across the Internet.

He also is a shining example of how FOSS does not have to mean charity -
as a successful implementor of FOSS technologies in the creation of a a
successful business, he has shown the way to many who aspire to do the
same in the future.

The man behind the Apache project, COLLAB.NET <http://COLLAB.NET>'s Brian
Behlendorf.

-------

He started off writing something to make it easier to maintain his
personal home pages, and ended up changing the way the world created
websites.

He can be blamed for the ANSI92 SQL-defying LIMIT clause in mSQL 1.x which
has now, at least conceptually, crept into both MySQL and PostgreSQL.

He has been to India before, and his fondest memories have been the
complete lack of Internet connectivity at Linux Bangalore/2003. :)

He is Mr.PHP - Rasmus Lerdorf.

-------

When she speaks, people sit up and listen. She was behind the open
sourcing of the project that today gives FOSS a place in every office and
in every home, and is also part of the organisation that decides what's
Open Source, and what is not - literally.

But she is also known as a relentless fighter for the cause of FOSS, and
especially for the smarter half of humanity. She is no stranger to India,
having been here often enough to be treated as a native, and she is a
staunch supporter of India as a future FOSS world power.

The Diva of Open Source - Danese Cooper.

--------

As one of the world's best known bloggers, he has played a vital role in
getting his highly influential organisation to play nice with FOSS. He
loves to dabble with things ranging from Linux servers, databases, to PCs,
gliders and now powered aeroplanes.

He has been here before, and many people treasure the T-Shirts that he
autographed for them. He has the ear of both the hacker and the corporate
world, and spends considerable amount of time telling each world about the
other.

He is Yahoo!'s Jeremy Zawodny.

--------
The world of sound and music is a fascinating one, and there has always
been a deep connection between code-hacking geeks and music. It is,
therefore, hardly surprising that a lot of effort goes into making FOSS
platforms "music compatible" - not just in the playback department, but in
the music creation and recording department.

For many years now, our next speaker has been behind both the
documentation and the actual creation of FOSS-based music software. As a
regular columnist of Linux Journal, as well as a contributor to many
aspects of the field of FOSS based Music creation and recording, many
people use his work every day without even realising it.

The man behind Linux Sound and Audio - Dave Phillips.

-----

Oh, and one more thing....

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

He is probably one of the most recognisable faces in the FOSS world, and
at the same time one of the most respected names, as well. His
contributions to Linux rank with those of all the greats out there, and
that includes Linus Torvalds.

He has been the official kernel maintainer, and little happens in the
Linux kernel today without him having some say in it.

He is an outspoken critic of the DMCA, and has vowed not to set a foot on
the USA as long as it exists.

He is the king of his castle, and has his wife's permission to say so.

Conferences and events in India have tried for the past half decade to
have him come here, but FOSS.IN/2005 <http://FOSS.IN/2005> is the first one
he has ever agreed
to come to.

He is Alan Cox.

(stay tuned for more in a day or two)

Read the original
message<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-bangalore-non-tech/message/5697>
--
"GNU is the system, and Linux is the kernel."
A proud GNU user http://www.gnu.org