[Fsf-friends] Isn't it ironical?

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 06:41:57 CEST 2005

Nikhil,
  To your original question the answer is
1) Linux Magazine is not in the bussiness of selling
the magazine, it is in the bussiness of selling its
subscribers to advertisers. Once that part is clear,
everything follows.
2) It is true that it the magazine does serve poeple
interested in GNU/Linux, but that is its secondary
function.
   You can get a sense of this by looking at any
magazine ratio of subscription income to advertising
income. Its usually 1:2

> And if their money helps keep us in business
> producing an information resource valued
> by the Linux community we serve, isn't that a
> good for all of us?

Nope. Eventually whoever pays the piper calls the
tune.

> If I may ask, are you a subscriber to our
> publication? Are you too helping to keep us in
> business? I would be glad to think so.

This is critical, I am not talking about Linux Mag,
but the more directly we support media or any
organization the better it is.

   To understand more about media, I can only refer
you to Manufacturing Consent
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman%20/Manufac_Consent_Prop_Model.html
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman%20/Conclusions_ManufacConsent.html
or
http://chomskytorrents.org/TorrentDetails.php?TorrentID=32

-Krishna

--- Nikhil Prabhakar <prabhakar.nikhil at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I had mailed to linux-mag.com
> <http://linux-mag.com/> about the issue of M$
> ad on their site spreading "Get The Facts"
> propaganda.Here is their
> response:
>
> >Dear Mr. Prabhakar,
>
> >How, in a semi-free society, can we deny the right
> of one company to buy
> >advertising space from us but not others? We have
> no policy enabling us to
> >censor advertisers, except when they break the law
> (fraud, libel, lewd
> >solicitations, etc). Microsoft wants to put out a
> message of its
> alternative
> >solutions to the open source community, and they've
> chosen our
> >well-respected and well-trafficked site to do so.
>
> >Personally, I think will prove to be a waste of
> time, as your note reveals.
> >Think of it as a sign of the pressure that
> Microsoft and all makers of
> >proprietary software are feeling because of the
> relentless momentum behind
> >open source, open standard solutions. And if their
> money helps keep us in
> >business producing an information resource valued
> by the Linux community we
> >serve, isn't that a good for all of us?
>
> >If I may ask, are you a subscriber to our
> publication? Are you too helping
> >to keep us in business? I would be glad to think
> so.
>
> >Regards,
>
> >Robert Wells, Ph.D.
> >VP, Business Development
> >Linux Magazine
>
> Regards
>
> nipra
>
> "Live Life Ethically"
>
> www.gnu.org/philosophy
> <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy>

To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/

    The great moral question of the twenty-first century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art, all useful information, can be costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone -- if everyone can have everything, everywhere, all the time, why is it ever moral to exclude anyone from anything? -Eben Moglen