[Fsf-friends] Re: [Fwd: [Ilugc] Adelphi Charter]

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 20:06:47 CEST 2005

RMS,
   Please find 3 parts in the email
1) Adelphi Charter
2) Director, address, and email address
3) Commision Members (includes Lessig)
-Krishna

=======Part 1 ===== Adelphi Charter ================

Adelphi Charter
on creativity,
innovation and
intellectual property

Humanity's capacity to generate new ideas and
knowledge is its greatest asset. It is the source of
art, science, innovation and economic development.
Without it, individuals and societies stagnate.

This creative imagination requires access to the
ideas, learning and culture of others, past and
present.

Human rights call on us to ensure that everyone can
create, access, use and share information and
knowledge, enabling individuals, communities and
societies to achieve their full potential.

Creativity and investment should be recognised and
rewarded. The purpose of intellectual property law
(such as copyright and patents) should be, now as it
was in the past, to ensure both the sharing of
knowledge and the rewarding of innovation.

The expansion in the law’s breadth, scope and term
over the last 30 years has resulted in an intellectual
property regime which is radically out of line with
modern technological, economic and social trends. This
threatens the chain of creativity and innovation on
which we and future generations depend.

We call upon governments and the international
community to adopt these principles.

   1. Laws regulating intellectual property must serve
as means of achieving creative, social and economic
ends and not as ends in themselves.
   2. These laws and regulations must serve, and never
overturn, the basic human rights to health, education,
employment and cultural life.
   3. The public interest requires a balance between
the public domain and private rights. It also requires
a balance between the free competition that is
essential for economic vitality and the monopoly
rights granted by intellectual property laws.
   4. Intellectual property protection must not be
extended to abstract ideas, facts or data.
   5. Patents must not be extended over mathematical
models, scientific theories, computer code, methods
for teaching, business processes, methods of medical
diagnosis, therapy or surgery.
   6. Copyright and patents must be limited in time
and their terms must not extend beyond what is
proportionate and necessary.
   7. Government must facilitate a wide range of
policies to stimulate access and innovation, including
non-proprietary models such as open source software
licensing and open access to scientific literature.
   8. Intellectual property laws must take account of
developing countries' social and economic
circumstances.
   9. In making decisions about intellectual property
law, governments should adhere to these rules:

* There must be an automatic presumption against
creating new areas of intellectual property
protection, extending existing privileges or extending
the duration of rights.

* The burden of proof in such cases must lie on the
advocates of change.

* Change must be allowed only if a rigorous analysis
clearly demonstrates that it will promote people's
basic rights and economic well-being.

* Throughout, there should be wide public consultation
and a comprehensive, objective and transparent
assessment of public benefits and detriments.

We call upon governments and the international
community to adopt these principles.

=======Part 2 ===== Director================
The Adelphi Charter
Director: John Howkins
E6 Albany
Piccadilly
London
W1J 0AR
Tel: +44 (20) 7434 1400
E: john at johnhowkins.com

=======Part 3===== Who are We? =======

James Boyle
William Neal Reynolds Professor of Law, Duke Law
School, and
Faculty Co-Director, Center for the Study of the
Public Domain,
Duke University
USA
www.law.duke.edu

Lynne Brindley
Chief Executive, British Library
UK
www.bl.uk

William Cornish
Former Herchel Smith Professor of Intellectual
Property
University of Cambridge
UK
www.law.cam.ac.uk/ipunit

Carlos Correa
Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies on Industrial
Property and Economics
University of Buenos Aires
Argentina;
and South Centre
Switzerland
www.uba.ar
www.southcentre.org

Darius Cuplinskas
Director, Information Programme
Open Society Institute
UK
www.soros.org

Carolyn Deere
Chair, Board of Directors, Intellectual Property
Watch; and Research Associate, Global Economic
Governance Programme,
University College
Oxford.
www.ip-watch.org

Cory Doctorow
Staff Member, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF);
and writer
www.eff.org

Peter Drahos
Professor of Law, Director of the Centre for
Competition and Regulatory Policy, and Head, RegNet,
The Australian National University
Australia
http://regnet.anu.edu.au

Bronac Ferran
Director, Interdisciplinary Arts
Arts Council England
UK
www.artscouncil.org.uk

Dr Michael Jubb
Director
Research Libraries Network
UK
michael.jubb at bl.uk

Gilberto Gil
Minister of Culture, Brazil; and musician
www.gilbertogil.com.br

Lawrence Lessig
Chair, Creative Commons;
Professor of Law and John A. Wilson Distinguished
Faculty Scholar
Stanford Law School
USA
www.lessig.org
http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu

James Love
Executive Director, Consumer Project on Technology;
and Co-Chair, Transatlantic Consumer Dialogue (TACD)
Committee on Intellectual Property
USA
www.cptech.org
www.tacd.org

Hector MacQueen
Professor of Private Law and
Director, AHRB Research Centre on Intellectual
Property and Technology Law
University of Edinburgh
UK
www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrb

John Naughton
Professor of the Public Understanding of Technology,
Open University;
Fellow of Wolfson College, Cambridge; and columnist,
'The Observer'
UK
molly.open.ac.uk

Vandana Shiva
Director, Research Foundation for Science Technology
and Ecology
India
www.vsnl.com

Sir John Sulston
Nobel Laureate;
former Director, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
UK
www.sanger.ac.uk

Louise Sylvan
Deputy Chair, Australian Competition and Consumer
Commission (ACCC)
Australia
www.accc.gov.au

--- "Richard M. Stallman" <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

> You've mentioned several URLs--it is not convenient
> for me to navigate
> through them to find the charter itself.  Could you
> email me the text?
>
> It sounds like a well-intentioned activity, and it
> may do some good.
> However, if they actually used the term
> "intellectual property",
> that will tend to promote the very kind of thinking
> that they wish
> to keep in check.  I would like to write to them
> about this;
> can you tell me who to contact?  (Names and email
> addresses?)

To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/

    The great moral question of the twenty-first century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art, all useful information, can be costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone -- if everyone can have everything, everywhere, all the time, why is it ever moral to exclude anyone from anything? -Eben Moglen