[Fsf-friends] Isn't it ironical?

Toufeeq Hussain toufeeqh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 06:04:58 CEST 2005

Nikhil Prabhakar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just now going through the web I reached a site ( http://www.linux-mag.com)
> which is supposed to promote GNU/Linux (or at least it seems to be ).I found
> M$ ads there which were telling people to believe that Windoze is more
> powerful. This has really disturbed me. What these so called Open Source
> guys trying to achieve? They are doing more harm to the community. The point
> I'm trying to prove here is that untill and unless you believe in the
> philosophy behind the free software movement you will achieve no good.It's
> like going one step forward and two step backwards.

I remember Linux World(largest selling print magazine for Linux) had
adverts by Microsoft on the "get-the-facts" campaign.Why ?
LW belongs to a parent body which would have out-sourced advertising to
a third-party vendor whose business is to churn out ads from a central
server.Most often than not, LW editors/writers would not know what
products/services their ad's represent.I presume that's the same case
with the linux mag in question.

Again, online(only) magazines depend on a lot of advert-based revenue.No
FOSS based projects would advertise,so in this case it has to be
proprietary s/w companies.Basically, I see nothing wrong in that.

-toufeeq