[Fsf-friends] On Mono

Arun M arun at gnu.org.in
Fri Oct 14 12:22:00 CEST 2005

> Why are people against Mono? It is FS, so its licence is definitely not a threat.
> The most popular reason seems to be the fear of *possible* violation of
> software

> Offtopic:
> Even after taking into account the Novell marketing, those Mono guys are
> doing some wonderful work. Take a look at the number of new apps based on
> it (f-spot, beagle, tomboy etc). I don't think anyone should be apologizing for
> mentioning beagle, a FS, on FSF mailing list.

I dont see any reason to consider Mono as evil.

Leaders of Mono project (former Ximian) had taken stands which were
harmful for the free software movement( or at least many in movement
thinks so). This makes some people sceptical of their project
including Mono.

>From the point of view of software freedom KDE-Gnome war is over. KDE
is as free as GNOME. Some time I find that KDE people more committed
towards philosophy than GNOME.

regards
arun.